By Jilian Wakarchuk:
With St. Patty’s day just over, everyone will still be remembering their best green outfits. As for food, some people went all out with the green and added food colouring to just about everything, but why not use naturally green ingredients? Here are a few recipes using my favourite green food: baby spinach.
If, like me, you find lettuce boring, try baby spinach as your salad base. It’s super healthy and delicious, and makes for a great alternative.
1.In a salad bowl mix:
1 tub of baby spinach, washed,
2 apples, cubed
a small block of cheese, cubed
1/2 cup of chopped pecans or almonds
2.Dress with equal parts olive oil, and flavoured balsamic vinegar.
3.Toss and serve.
If you’re more of a pasta person than a salad person, try this
spin on a pasta primavera.
1. Set a large pot of water on to boil.
2. Chop and sauté with a little bit of olive oil:
1 bell pepper
1 large tomato or a large handful of grape tomatoes
3. When the water boils, add 300g of dried spaghetti.
4. Stir occasionally until the noodles are cooked.
5. Wash half a tub of baby spinach.
6. When everything is cooked mix the veggies with the
pasta and add more olive oil.
7. Serve the pasta over the baby spinach.
8. Add parmesan cheese and enjoy.