½ cup shortening
¼ cup butter
1 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 ½ cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 kg candy canes
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Cream together shortening, butter, and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs and vanilla.
- Mix together dry ingredients and blend into creamed mixture.
- Cover and let chill for one hour.
- While chilling, put the candy canes in a bowl and crush them with a hammer, or the more sanitary end of a rolling pin.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to approximately 1/8” thickness.
- Using a cookie cutter, cut the dough into shapes.
- Using a small, round, cookie cutter, make a cutout (a hole) in the centre of each cookie.
- Place cookies on a baking sheet that is covered in foil.
- Place broken candies in the cutout of the cookies.
- Bake in oven for 7-9 minutes.
- Let cool completely on baking sheets before removing the cookies from the foil.